Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mother To Son by: Langston Hughes

                  I liked how the author of this poem sarts out the poem as " well, son, I'll tell you". It already gives the person reading this poem a clue that this poem is about a mother trying to tell her son a message. Something important. like for example it saids " life for me ain't been no crystal stair". Which i think means that life for the mother have'nt been very good. which also leads to this phrase in the poem " It's had tacks in it , And splinters , And boards torn up , And places with no carpet on the floor". i thought that whole part was very sad and cold, with all those words.
                 The mother in this poem also uses old language like for example she says "i'se and kinder" . She also repeats many lines like the one life for me ain't been no crystal stair. I think the mother cares about her son alot and doesn't want her son to follow her steps .
Mother to Son by Langston Hughes
Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor—
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now”
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
I think this poem represents all the mom's in this world and the message they want to tell their children , which i think is that "keep trying, move forward, look ahead. Don't stop. Don't look back. The struggle to survive will never end."

No comments:

Post a Comment